“Justice is really love in calculation. Justice is love correcting that which revolts against love.”
-Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
#LiveJusticeNow is a monthly initiative of The Riverside Church’s Mission and Social Justice ministries. Each month we will suggest actions that both respond to current events and challenges of our day, and advocate for greater justice for communities most vulnerable to abuse and exploitation.
Our nation and world are experiencing a great need for truth, justice, and compassion. In response, Riverside is committed to providing faithful Christian witness and action. Please join us as we put our faith to work and follow the words of the prophet who told us what God requires: do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God (Micah 6:8).
For more information about Live Justice Now events and actions from Riverside’s Ministry of Social Justice, contact Daniel Conover.
Hurricane Harvey Clean Up Kits:
We’re partnering with the United Church of Christ and Church World Service to provide cleanup kits for survivors of Hurricane Harvey. These kits will be given to families and communities in need as they seek to rebuild in the aftermath of the hurricane. Donations can be dropped off in South Hall during Coffee Hour or at the security desk throughout the week. Each kits needs:
- Five-gallon bucket with resealble lid (used buckets must be clean and not have held chemicals of any kind.)
- Four scouring pads
- Seven sponges, including one large
- One scrub brush
- Eighteen reusable cleaning towels (e.g. Easy Wipes)
- One package of 48-50 clothespins
- Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
- One 50 oz. or two 25 oz. bottle(s) of liquid laundry detergent
- One 16-28 oz. bottle of liquid disinfectant dish soap
- One 12-16 oz. bottle of household cleaner that can be mixed with water (no spray bottles)
- Five dust masks
- Two pairs non surgical latex gloves
- One pair work gloves, cotton with leather palm or all leather
- 24-28 heavy duty or contractor type 30-45 gallon trash bags on a roll and removed from carton
- One 6-9 oz. bottle of non-aerosol insect repellent
For monetary donations, give online now at donate.trcnyc.org and type “Hurricane Harvey” as the donation’s designation. You can place a check or envelope in the offering plate, noting “Hurricane Harvey” on the donation.