Facility Updates: Stained Glass Restoration & Local Law 11 / FISP Work
Bookmark this page for the latest Riverside Church facility updates on stained glass restoration, Local Law 11, and more.
June 20, 2022 Update:
The Local Law 11 Fisp repair project has begun at 490 Riverside Drive as of Jun 1, 2022. This work with be completed by Preserv Building Management Inc, under the supervision of Walter B. Melvin Architects and Westerman Construction CO.
• The first portion of work will be the scaffolding build being done by Ceprine Scaffolding. This work will begin on the West side ( Riverside Drive) and continue working around to the east side ( facing courtyard of 97 Claremont Ave). This scaffolding build will continue mid-September 2022.
• This scaffolding will be built on top of the existing exterior sheds built for the stained glass restoration beginning at the 8th fl of the tower and continue up to the 22nd fl.
• FISP repair work will continue through March 2023.
Work hours will be between 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The Stained Glass window removal and abatement has begun on the clerestory & lancet windows. Following this will be the removal of all windows on the Riverside Drive and Claremont Ave facing side of Nave. This project is being completed by A&G Restoration, Airtek Environmental, Clagnan Glass Studio and NorthEast Stained Glass, Cohoes Glass Design, Shalan Stained Glass and Serpentino Stained Glass overseen by Julie Sloan Consultants, Walter B. Melvin Architects and Westerman Construction Co.
The Stained Glass Removal and abatement will continue through end of September 2022. At which time all windows will be sent off to studios for restoration and return for reinstallation beginning Feb. 2024.
122nd St Nave Entrance double doors have been removed as of June 15th, 2022 and will be restored by Olek Restoration. The timeline for these repairs are estimated between 12-16 weeks.
February 17, 2022 Update:
• Republic Scaffold & Hoist Corp. completed exterior scaffold build and building enclosure on Riverside Drive.
• Exterior enclosure and scaffold build began on interior courtyard on February 10 and will continue through April 29.
• Interior scaffolding build on triforium level of Nave began week of January 20 and will continue through. April 29.
• Preserv Building Restoration Management Inc. has been selected as the FISP Repair contractor for Local Law 11 Repairs at 490 Riverside Drive. Scaffolding and work associated with façade repairs scheduled to begin April, 2022.
October 25, 2021 Update:
Beginning Wednesday, October 27, 2021 and continuing through March 1, 2022, work will commence at The Riverside Church on Stained Glass Restoration in the Nave and exterior Local Law 11 / Façade Inspection Safety Program (FISP) inspection and repairs.
Republic Scaffold & Hoist, under the supervision of Westerman Construction Co, Inc., will be installing a sidewalk bridge and necessary scaffolding needed for the upcoming Stained Glass Restoration and Local Law 11 / FISP repair projects at 490 Riverside Drive. This scaffolding will consist of both an exterior structure surrounding the building and interior cantilevered scaffolding on the triforium levels of the Nave that will remain in place until early 2024. Here are some examples of what the scaffolding will look like from a similar stained glass project Westerman completed at St. Thomas Church:
Construction will take place Monday-Friday during normal business hours from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. A reasonable amount of construction noise is to be expected as the work gets underway and all crews will adhere to the local noise ordinances. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience or disturbance this may cause.
Future updates on the progress of the project will be posted as they become available. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation as we work to restore and maintain our beloved Riverside Church to its original beauty and glory! If you have any questions or concerns regarding this project please contact our property manager Shanniel Morrison or assistant property manager Tanya Dunlap.