Our Mission Statement
The Riverside Church Prison Ministry is an organization of volunteers that conducts advocacy and outreach programs on behalf of people in prison, their families and the community from which most come and to which most return.
The volunteers – lay people, community workers, students, family members and people formerly incarcerated – work inside the prisons as well as on the outside worshipping, assisting families and sponsoring prison reform.
What We Do
- Plan and conduct worship services and programs in prisons throughout New York State
- Lobby for prison reform and humane legislation
- Correspond with people in prison
- Provide people in prison with crucially needed education materials
- Participate monthly in the Exodus Program at Eastern Correctional Facility
- Collect gifts at Christmas for the children of people in prison
- Lead discussions, bible studies and annual programs, conferences, and forums on Criminal Justice issues
- Provide assistance to faith-based communities in establishing their own Prison Outreach Programs
Prison Ministry meets at The Riverside Church on the fourth Sunday of every month at 1:00 p.m.—directly after the Sunday morning worship service.
For additional information contact The Riverside Church Mission and Social Justice Office at 212.870.6909.
“What is good and what does the Lord require of thee, but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.” Micah, 6:8