August 2020 RDC Update
The RDC’s work has continue to move forward though some of its work has been impacted by the pandemic. Here is a status report of the work of the RDC’s subcommittees during the last three months:
Real Estate Assessment sub-committee
– Approved an engineering study of McGiffert Hall
– Met with BBB Architects to discuss the zoning study it did for our campus
– Moving forward with greening study of our campus
Community Assessment and Partnership sub-committee
– The work of this committee was delayed and impacted by the pandemic. The original community survey was to be done in-person but the survey now will be done on-line. This has required a change in our strategy to collect this essential information from our neighbors. We expect the online survey to be conducted in September.
Congregational Assessment sub-committee
– The congregational survey launch was pushed back from the Spring to September because of the pandemic. The concern was that conducting a survey in the Spring during the pandemic might skew the survey responses because of concerns about the pandemic. The survey will also be conducted online with paper surveys being distributed to members who do not have access to a computer or prefer a paper survey.
– The Spring Speaker’s series was cancelled due to the pandemic and will begin again this fall. We revamped and updated our RDC web page. We are using the Riverside Member Network to lift up the work of the RDC. RDC made a presentation at the Leadership Town Hall meeting. RDC continues to provide regular updates of its work to the Church Council. As of this month, the RDC will host a regular Ask RDC session after worship on the last Sunday of the month.
– The Tower Tours have been suspended because of the pandemic
– The Food Justice task force continues to meet to discern possibilities for developing a bargain grocery store
The RDC, Ugochi and I continue to welcome your support and assistance to get the word out about RDC’s work to your staff and committee/Commission members. Ugochi and I welcome your invitation to make a presentation about the RDC to your staff and committee/Commission.
-Rev. Phil Tom